Saturday, July 28, 2012

It's Time I Give Up





  For the last 8 years I have been trying to delay the process of growing up. Since I was 14 and first realized how much life changes every year, I've wanted nothing more than to stay a kid. I didn't want to progress through a time where loved ones would die off and I'd be left with a hole in my heart. I got sick at the thought of being on my own in a cold world full of stress any worrying. The thing is, I can't continue living in this fantasy of mine. It is time I give up on trying to remain a kid and grow into the adult I am supposed to be.

  I was just watching a show that had a family with strong family bonds. Even though I didn't have that growing up, I know I can make sure that it will be present in my home when I have a family. Then I started to think about my family....the one I don't have.

  As I was thinking about the fact that I don't yet have a family to raise, I realized that I don't even have a career at the moment that could support a family.

  As I thought about my lack of career, I realized that I don't have the educational backing to get me into a good career.

  I am twenty-two years old and I should have been graduated from college by now, but I haven't even started, I am stuck in a dead-end job, and I can't open myself up enough to accept the love others are trying to offer me.

  As I watch those I grew up with graduate from college, begin their work in their chosen careers, and take on family roles, I felt it was time to evaluate my life.

  I have chosen that I will now finally begin my journey into the real life of an adult. I figure, a late start to life is better than no start at all, right? Well, this is where it begins. I am putting away my toys and venturing off into this scary world that I've pushed away for too long. I am giving up on my dream of always being a kid and going to take on real responsibilities as an adult should.

  So long, old me. Hello, you2.0

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for starting this fall. I think you've chose a great area to study too. You will be awesome!

    I only want to push back on one thing. Don't stop being kid. I'm 31 and still refusing to grow up in some areas. I think that is completely okay. There is a beautiful way to blend together both worlds. Do that! :)

    ReplyDelete